Quinoa is one of the world’s most popular health foods. It is gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain sufficient amounts of all nine essential amino acids.It is also high in fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants. Indulge into one of my favorite Quinoa salads.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon chili powder (as desired)
2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
fresh cilantro, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, until softened.
- Add the black beans, corn, tomatoes, quinoa, vegetable stock, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir, then cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender.
- Transfer the salad to a serving bowl and top with the avocado, lime juice, and cilantro.
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or nut of choice
6 oz dried apricots
6 oz dried figs
2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
dash of Himalayan salt
3 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes for coating
- Remove fig stems
- Place the figs, apricots, nuts, chocolate chips in food processor.
- Blend until finely chopped.
- The chocolate chips will still have some larger pieces, but just keep them mixed with the batter.
- Transfer into a large bowl and add a pinch of salt
- Mix well and then roll into mini balls.
- Roll each mini ball in the coconut flakes
- Place on wide plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Enjoy with a cup of tea!
Happy Reading 📔
Serves: 4 servings
2 large sweet potatoes
1 medium red onion
15 oz chickpeas, rinsed and drained
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons garlic, minced ( used garlic paste)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cayenne
Himalayan salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
3 oz mixed greens
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoons dried cranberries (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in small cubes and transfer on one half of a non-stick baking sheet.
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Add the chickpeas to the other half of the baking sheet.
- In a glass bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Pour half of the dressing over the sweet potatoes and chickpeas and mix with your hands until well-coated. Keep the chickpeas and sweet potatoes separated as much as possible.
- Scoot the chickpeas toward the sweet potatoes and add the onions to the baking sheet. Make sure everything is spread out evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Place the greens in a large bowl. Top with the roasted chickpeas, sweet potatoes, and onion.
Add the parsley, cilantro, and remaining dressing and toss to combine.Top with dried cranberries, if using.Happy & Healthy Summer⛱
Serves: 4-6 servings
Almond Butter Ice Cream
3 medium bananas, sliced and frozen
¼ cup Coconut Cream 🥥
½ cup Organic Almond Butter – unsalted & unsweetened- Creamy
3 tablespoons Organic Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract (optional)
Almond Butter Swirl
• ¼ cup Organic Almond Butter – unsalted & unsweetened- Creamy
- Add bananas to a Food Processor . Blend until crumbly. Add coconut cream and blend until smooth.
- Add ½ cup almond butter, maple syrup and vanilla. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the processor as needed.
- Pour half of the mixture into a freezer-friendly – used Pirex . Tap the container a few times to create an even layer. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of almond butter over this layer of ice cream in a large zigzag pattern, creating big pockets of almond butter. Keep it uneven for more chunky swirls.
- Pour the remaining half of the ice cream mixture over the almond butter swirl.
- Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of almond butter over the ice cream. Dip a butter knife straight down into the ice cream, almost hitting the bottom of the container. Gently swirl the knife around the ice cream in a clockwise motion–starting near the edge of the container and ending in the center, creating pretty almond butter swirls. Do not over-stir, as that will fully mix the almond butter into the ice cream and remove swirls.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours, or until completely frozen. Allow to thaw for 4 minutes before scooping.
- Sprinkle Cacao Nibs & Coconut Chips Toasted for a crunchy delight!
Happy & Healthy Summer⛱
For 4 wild salmon filets (6 oz each)
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt (as desired)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Parchment Paper sheet
For the basil bruschetta: (makes 2 1/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp extra virgin oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Himalayan salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste ( as desired)
- 2 medium vine ripe tomatoes
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Combine onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Set aside a 5 minutes.
- Chop tomatoes and place in a large bowl. Combine with garlic, basil, onion-balsamic combo and additional salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and let it sit at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Place the parchment paper on a baking sheet and place the filets on the top of the paper.
- Drizzle olive oil on the filets, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 2 minutes
- Serve topped each with generous 1/2 cup basil bruschetta.
Here’s my favorite healthy mashed thyme-potatoes recipe:
2 cups organic Russet potatoes (skin on)
2 cups veggie stock/broth. Directions for Veggie Broth
2 tbsp grass-fed ghee
2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
2 cloves garlic, minced ( used 1tbsp garlic paste)
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp Himalayan salt ( as desired)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Cut your potatoes into fourths and boil in the stock for 10-15 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile, in a wide bowl combine the rest of the ingredients ( thyme, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, and ghee).
- Transfer potatoes to the mixed ingredients bowl and add 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Mash with the potato masher.
- Mix well; stir in more broth or stock as needed for desired consistency.