Quinoa is one of the world’s most popular health foods. It is gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain sufficient amounts of all nine essential amino acids.It is also high in fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants. Indulge into one of my favorite Quinoa salads.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon chili powder (as desired)
2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
fresh cilantro, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, until softened.
- Add the black beans, corn, tomatoes, quinoa, vegetable stock, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir, then cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender.
- Transfer the salad to a serving bowl and top with the avocado, lime juice, and cilantro.
For 4 wild salmon filets (6 oz each)
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt (as desired)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Parchment Paper sheet
For the basil bruschetta: (makes 2 1/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp extra virgin oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Himalayan salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste ( as desired)
- 2 medium vine ripe tomatoes
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Combine onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Set aside a 5 minutes.
- Chop tomatoes and place in a large bowl. Combine with garlic, basil, onion-balsamic combo and additional salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and let it sit at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Place the parchment paper on a baking sheet and place the filets on the top of the paper.
- Drizzle olive oil on the filets, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 2 minutes
- Serve topped each with generous 1/2 cup basil bruschetta.
Here’s my favorite healthy mashed thyme-potatoes recipe:
2 cups organic Russet potatoes (skin on)
2 cups veggie stock/broth. Directions for Veggie Broth
2 tbsp grass-fed ghee
2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
2 cloves garlic, minced ( used 1tbsp garlic paste)
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp Himalayan salt ( as desired)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Cut your potatoes into fourths and boil in the stock for 10-15 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile, in a wide bowl combine the rest of the ingredients ( thyme, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, and ghee).
- Transfer potatoes to the mixed ingredients bowl and add 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Mash with the potato masher.
- Mix well; stir in more broth or stock as needed for desired consistency.
Bottom Layer Ingredients: Almond Banana Mousse
- 1 large banana
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon almond milk unsweetened
Middle Layer Ingredients: Chia Mix
- 1/4 c chia seeds
- 3/4 c Almondmilk Unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
Top Layer Ingredients: Mashed Raspberries
Continue reading “Parfait for Breakfast”